About this product
- DescriptionIn the fall of 2008, the United States was plunged into a financial crisis more severe than any since the Great Depression. As banks collapsed and the state scrambled to organize one of the largest transfers of wealth in history, many including ecomists and financial experts were shocked by the speed at which events unfolded.In this new book, John Bellamy Foster and Fred Magdoff offer a bold analysis of the financial meltdown, how it developed, and the implications for the future. They examine the specifics of the housing bubble and the credit crunch as well as situate current events within a broader crisis of mopoly-finance capitalism one that has been gestating for several decades. It is the real productive ecomy s tendency toward stagnation, they argue, that creates a need for capital to find ways to profitably invest its surplus. But rather than invest in socially useful projects that would benefit the vast majority, capital has constructed a financialized casi ecomy that neglects social needs and, as has become increasingly clear, is fatally unstable. Written over a two-year period immediately prior to the onset of the crisis, this timely and illuminating book is necessary reading for all those who wish to understand the current situation, how we got here, and where we are heading.
- Author(s)Fred Magdoff,John Bellamy Foster
- PublisherMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication14/01/2009
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight186 g
- Width157 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $18.62New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
- AU $24.96New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $32.17New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $20.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $21.92Trending at AU $22.75
- AU $31.07Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.