All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter World War II, the pivotal event in twentieth-century American history, life both at home and abroad seemed more complex and more dangerous than ever before. The political, ecomic, and social changes wrought by the war, such as the centralization and regulation of ecomic affairs by the federal government, new roles for women and mirities in American life, and the world leadership of the United States, remained in place after the soldiers and sailors returned home. Although the impact of World War II was t as transformative for the Great Plains as it was for other areas of the United States, it was still significant and tumultuous. Emphasizing the region's social and ecomic history, The Great Plains during World War II is the first book to examine the effects of the war on the region and the responses of its residents. Beginning with the isolationist debate that preceded the war, R. Douglas Hurt traces the residents' changing view of the European conflict and its direct impact on the plains. Hurt argues that the people of the Great Plains based their patriotic response to the war effort on the concept of comparative sacrifice. Drawing on a wealth of primary sources, this compelling and frank history brings to life the voices and experiences of the residents of the Great Plains in recounting the story of the daily concerns of ordinary people that have become part of the nation's history of this seminal event.
- Author BiographyR. Douglas Hurt is a professor and head of the Department of History at Purdue University. He is the author of many books, including The Indian Frontier, 1763-1846 and Problems of Plenty: The American Farmer in the Twentieth Century.
- Author(s)R. Douglas Hurt
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note24 illustrations, 6 tables, index
- Weight907 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine40 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.15
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.