The Great Texas Stamp Collection: How Some Stubborn Texas Confederate Postmasters, a Handful of Determined Texas Stamp Collectors, and a Few of the World's Greatest Philatelists Created, Discovered, and Preserved Some of the World's Most Valuable Postage Stamps by Charles W. Deaton (Hardback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.34Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmong the many difficulties the newly formed Confederate States of America endured in the summer of 1861 was the failure of its post office department to provide sufficient numbers of that item most crucial to its service: the postage stamp. Faced with the resulting din of customer complaints, a handful of industrious Texas postmasters solved the problem by simply making their own homemade stamps. In this thoroughly researched history of these rare and highly coveted stamps, The Great Texas Stamp Collection traces their journey from creation through their rediscovery years later by local, and then international, stamp collectors-a journey that culminated in the sale of a few pieces at a recent auction in New York that fetched more than $250,000. Weaving the larger contexts of Texas and U.S. postal history together with individual tales of greed, intrigue, forgery, and discovery, Deaton's book is rich with characters from European royalty to early stamp dealers to common criminals, while also providing detailed examinations of the stamps themselves, including a complete census of the stamps w kwn as the Texas Confederate Postmasters' Provisionals. Appealing at once to devoted philatelists, Texas and U.S. history buffs, and amateur collectors of all kinds, The Great Texas Stamp Collection offers a unique vantage point from which to view our history as well as the very nature of collecting.
- Author BiographyA recipient of the Phillip H. Ward, Jr., Award for Excellence in Philatelic Literature and the Distinguished Philatelic Texan Award from the Texas Philatelic Association, Charles W. Deaton is a professional philatelist and the founder and first president of the Texas Postal History Society. Among his many works on the subject are Texas Postal History Handbook, A Philatelic Guide to the 1936 Texas Centennial Celebration, and Fifty Years of Texas Philately.
- Author(s)Charles W. Deaton
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2012
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Series TitleCharles N. Prothro Texana Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note20 color and 9 b&w photos
- Weight363 g
- Width147 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.