All listings for this product
Save on Audio Books
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $45.20Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $44.90Trending at AU $48.40
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $42.29Trending at AU $46.12
- AU $25.76Trending at AU $33.06
About this product
- DescriptionEel has troubles of his own: As an orphan and a mudlark, he spends his days in the filthy River Thames, searching for bits of things to sell. He's being hunted by Fisheye Bill Tyler, and a nastier man never walked the streets of London. And he's got a secret that costs him four precious shillings a week to keep safe. But even for Eel, things aren't so bad until that fateful August day in 1854--the day the Great Trouble begins. Mr. Griggs, the tailor, is the first to get sick, and soon it's clear that the deadly cholera--the blue death --has come to Broad Street. Everyone believes that cholera is spread through poisous air. But one man, Dr. John Sw, has a different theory. As the epidemic surges, it's up to Eel and his best friend Florrie to gather evidence to prove Sw's theory before the entire neighborhood is wiped out. Part medical mystery, part survival story, and part Dickensian adventure, Deborah Hopkinson's The Great Trouble is a celebration of a fascinating pioneer in public health and a gripping vel about the 1854 London cholera epidemic. Backmatter includes an author's te, time line, and further reading suggestions. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyDEBORAH HOPKINSON has written more than 40 books for young readers. Her picture books include Sky Boys: How They Built the Empire State Building, an ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book and a Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book; Abe Lincoln Crosses a Creek, an ALA-ALSC Notable Children's Book and a Junior Library Guild Selection; A Boy Called Dickens; and the ALA Notable Book Apples to Oregon. She is also the author of the middle-grade novel Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906.
- Author(s)Deborah Hopkinson
- PublisherListening Library
- Date of Publication10/09/2013
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintListening Library
- Weight181 g
- Width130 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byKimberly Farr,Matthew Frow
- Contained items statement5 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time360
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.