All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is about how people help other people to learn. Human life depends on kwledge being jointly created and shared: we rely on others for developing our understanding and for acquiring practical and intellectual skills. Yet most research on learning and thinking has focused on individuals. In The Guided Construction of Kwledge the author uses examples of talk recorded in classrooms and other places to show how teachers and learners, or learners working together, succeed and fail in the vital process of guiding learning and constructing kwledge. The book makes the ideas of socio-cultural research accessible to a wide audience and directly relevant to the practical concerns of teachers about the quality of education in their classrooms.
- Author BiographyNeil Mercer is Reader and Director of the Centre for Language and Communications in the School of Education at the Open University. He is a psychologist whose research has mainly been on the everyday use of language in education and training, and in the course of this research he has worked closely with teachers and occupational trainers in the UK and with researchers in Europe and Latin America. He wrote 'Common Knowledge: The Development of Understanding in the Classroom' with Derek Edwards (Methuen/Routledge, 1987), was joint director with John Elliot of the SLANT (Spoken Language and New Technology) project and chaired the development of the Open University's first distance-education MA (Education) course on language and literacy. He has taught a variety of subjects to learners of varied ages and backgrounds.
- Author(s)Neil Mercer
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication07/03/1995
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content Notereferences
- Weight196 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.