The Hand of God: Thoughts and Images Reflecting the Spirit of the Universe by Templeton Foundation Press,U.S. (Paperback / softback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.73Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Hand of God combines inspiration for the mind and spirit by juxtaposing what Astromy magazine has called the most beautiful astrophotos ever taken with illuminating words of scientists, poets, and theologians. Introduced by an essay from award-winning science writer Sharon Begley, this revised edition includes more than sixty new images and creates for the reader an unforgettable experience of the wonder of the universe.It was once believed that to look into the heavens was to look into the face of God. The first Hubble telescope images from space, which appeared in 1990, confirmed that sentiment in ways that are beyond imagination. These eerily lumius landscapes, splendid with color and motion, gave us a glimpse into the outermost reaches of the universe a vast, unexplored realm where spiraling galaxies cartwheeled, nebulae shimmered, and stars were born. Dark clouds parted like gauzy curtains and allowed us to peer directly into the heart of a mystery. Since that time, more images have been captured on film that are simultaneously wondrous and troubling, restoring to our lives that very mystery that seems to be part of the human experience.Throughout history, scientists and theologians, artists and writers, poets, and philosophers have struggled eloquently to make sense of the universe and God s part in it. Together the images in The Hand of God and the accompanying reflections encourage a sense of awe and, perhaps, purpose in an age hostile to both. We cant take a single step toward heaven, French mystic Simone Weil once said. If, however, we look heavenward for a long time, God comes and takes us up. Perhaps it is time to look up once again.
- Author BiographyMichael Reagan is the president and founder of Lionheart Books. Before that, he was the head of Turner Publishing, where he was responsible for a number of bestsellers such as Moonshot, Dinotopia, and Lady Cottington s Pressed Fairy Book. He is a graduate of Georgia State University. He and his wife live in Atlanta, Georgia, with their three children.Sharon Begley is an editor at Newsweek magazine and was previously the science editor of the Wall Street Journal. She has won the Aviation/Space Writer s Association Premier Award, a Global Award for Media Excellence, and the Educational Press Association s Distinguished Achievement Award.
- PublisherTempleton Foundation Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationRadnor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTempleton Foundation Press,U.S.
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width196 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byMichael Reagan
- Introduction bySharon Begley
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Sewn
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.