All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Handbook of Historical Linguistics provides a detailed account of the numerous issues, methods, and results that characterize current work in historical linguistics, the area of linguistics most directly concerned with language change as well as past language states. This title contains an extensive introduction that places the study of historical linguistics in its proper context within linguistics and the historical sciences in general. It covers the methodology of historical linguistics and presents sophisticated overviews of the principles governing phological, morphological, syntactic, and semantic change. It includes contributions from the leading specialists in the field.
- Author BiographyBrian D. Joseph is Professor of Linguistics and Kenneth E. Naylor Professor of South Slavic Linguistics at The Ohio State University. Within historical linguistics, his research focuses mainly on Indo-European languages. He has written and edited numerous books - including Language History, Language Change, and Language Relationship (with Hans H. Hock, 1996) and The Synchrony and Diachrony of the Balkan Infinitive (1983) - and has published over 160 articles. He became editor of the journal Language in 2002. Richard D. Janda is Senior Lecturer and Coordinator for Undergraduate Education in the Department of Linguistics at The Ohio State University. A specialist in both Germanic and Romance linguistics, he has written widely not only on diachronic but also on synchronic issues in phonology, morphology, and morphosyntax, as well as on historical linguistics in general. His more than 70 publications focus on drawing broader implications from the application of theory to specific problems of structure, function, variation, and change in individual languages.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication30/12/2004
- Series TitleBlackwell Handbooks in Linguistics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishing Ltd
- Content Note21 illustrations
- Weight1554 g
- Width176 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine47 mm
- Edited byBrian D. Joseph,Richard D. Janda
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.