All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBudd Schulberg's celebrated vel of the prize ring has lost ne of its power since its first publication almost fifty years ago. Crowded with unforgettable characters, it is a relentless expose of the fight racket. A modern Samson in the form of a simple Argentine peasant is ballyhooed by an unscrupulous fight promoter and his press agent and then betrayed and destroyed by connivers. Mr. Schulberg creates a wonderfully authentic atmosphere for this book that many critics hailed as even better than What Makes Sammy Run? The quintessential vel of boxing and corruption. -USA Today The book will stand t only as the vel about boxing but also as a book that indirectly tells more about civilization than do most books about civilization itself. -Arthur Miller. Brilliant, witty, and amusing-the best book on fighting that I have read. -Gene Tunney.
- Author BiographyBudd Schulberg is also the author of What Makes Sammy Run?, The Disenchanted, Sparring with Hemingway, On the Waterfront (play and screenplay), and Moving Pictures: Memories of a Hollywood Prince. He lives in Westhampton Beach, New York.
- Author(s)Budd Schulberg
- PublisherIvan R Dee, Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/1996
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIvan R Dee, Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight399 g
- Width130 mm
- Height207 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.