All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the late sixties and early seventies, black separatist movements were sweeping across the United States. This was the era of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Stokely Carmichael's and Charles Hamilton's Black Power, and Eldridge Cleaver's Soul on Ice. In 1969 a group of distinguished African American intellectuals met at Haverford College in order to devise strategies to dissuade young blacks from adopting a separatist political agenda. The participants included some of the most prominent figures of the civil rights era--Ralph Ellison, John Hope Franklin, and J. Saunders Redding, to name only a table few. Although these discussions were recorded, transcribed, and edited, they were never published because the funding for them was withdrawn. This volume at last makes the historic Haverford discussions available, rescuing for the modern reader some of the most eloquent voices in the intellectual history of black America.
Michael Lackey has edited and antated the transcript of this lively exchange, and Alfred E. Prettyman has supplied an afterword. While ackwledging the importance of the black power and separatist movements, Lackey's introduction also sheds light on the insights offered by critics of those movements. Despite the frequent characterisation of the dissenting integrationists as Uncle Toms or establishment intellectuals, a misrepresentation that has marginalised them in the intervening decades, Lackey argues that they had their own compelling vision for black empowerment and sociopolitical integration
- Author BiographyMichael Lackey is Associate Professor of English at the University of Minnesota, Morris, USA and the author of African American Atheists and Political Liberation: A Study of the Sociocultural Dynamics of Faith.
- PublisherUniversity of Virginia Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationCharlottesville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Virginia Press
- Weight440 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byProfessor Michael Lackey
- Edition Statementannotated edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.