All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionIt is accident that the doctor on board the pioneering missions of Star Trek was kwn as Scotty! Scotland has had a distinguished reputation for the quality of its doctors and nurses since earliest times. During the eighteenth century the first broadly-based education for physicians and surgeons was established in Scotland, and throughout the growth of the British Empire, Scottish doctors came to dominate medical practice and teaching, t only in Britain and the Colonies, but in much of the Americas and even Russia. How this came about is a fascinating story in itself. Equally interesting is the way medicine in Scotland developed from the early efforts of holy men and folk healers, who used charms and herbs to heal the sick. With the advent of more scientific methods the great achievements of figures such as the Monros, Robert Liston and James Syme, and those of the internationally famous Joseph Lister, David Livingstone and James Young Simpson transformed health care, t just in Scotland, but worldwide. All this is described in the new edition of David Hamilton's best-selling The Healers. Aimed at the n-specialist reader, it ranges over a dramatic and colourful history of leprosy and plagues, cholera and typhoid, anatomy and bodysnatching, and the swashbuckling surgery before anaesthesia which had to be performed in a matter of minutes to spare the patient's suffering. An extensive new introduction is included in this edition bringing it up to the present day and looking forward to the future of medicine in Scotland. Though t as far into the future as Star Trek...
- Author BiographyDavid Hamilton is a distinguished transplant surgeon based in Glasgow. As well as medical works, he is the author of many books on Scottish golf. In his spare time he runs his own Partick Press, publishing books on golf history.
- Author(s)David Hamilton
- PublisherMercat Press
- Date of Publication06/10/2003
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMercat Press
- Weight440 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.