All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Watts Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice in Postman's Park, London, is a Victorian monument containing fifty-four ceramic plaques commemorating sixty-two individuals, each of whom lost their own life while attempting to save ather. Every plaque tells a tragic and moving story, but the short narratives do little more than whet the appetite and stimulate the imagination about the lives and deaths of these brave characters. Based upon extensive historical research, this book will, for the first time, provide a full and engaging account of the dramatic circumstances behind each of the incidents, and reveal the vibrant and colourful lives led by those who tragically died.
- Author BiographyDr. John Price is a historian and part-time lecturer in modern British social and cultural history at Goldsmiths University. He is the author of Everyday Heroism: Victorian Constructions of the Heroic Civilian and Postman s Park: G.F.Watts s Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice. He is also a research fellow at the University of Roehampton.
- Author(s)Dr. John Price
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note20 black & white illustrations, 8 black & white plates
- Weight503 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.35Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.