All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow do you achieve effective low-carbon design beyond the building level? How do you create a community that is both liveable and sustainable? More importantly, how do you kw if you succeeded? Harrison Fraker goes beyond abstract principles to provide a clear, in-depth evaluation of four first generation low-carbon neighbourhoods in Europe, and shows how those lessons can be applied. Using concrete performance data to gauge successes and failures, he presents a holistic model based on best practices. The four case studies are: Bo01 in Malmo and Hammarby in Stockholm, Sweden and Kronsberg in Hanver and Vauban in Freiberg, Germany. Each was built deliberately to conserve resources: all are mixed-used, contain at least 1,000 units, and employ aggressive strategies for energy and water efficiency, recycling, and waste treatment. For each case study, Fraker explores the community's development process and principles, goals and objectives as they relate to urban form, transportation, green space, energy, water, and waste systems, social agenda, overall performance, and lessons learned. Later chapters compare the different strategies employed by the case-study communities and develop a comprehensive model of sustainability, looking specifically at how these lessons can be employed. Fraker also shows that sustainability isn't limited to newly built neighbourhoods - retrofits can benefit even our most established communities. This whole-systems approach promises t only a smaller carbon footprint, but an enriched form of urban living.
- Author BiographyHarrison S. Fraker is Professor of Architecture and Urban Design, and former Dean of the School of Architecture, at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Author(s)Harrison Fraker
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2013
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight907 g
- Width218 mm
- Height259 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.46Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.