All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionThe High-Performing Preschool takes readers into the lives of three - and four-year-old Head Start students during their first year of school and focuses on the centerpiece of their school day: story acting. In this activity, students act out stories from high-quality children's literature as well as stories dictated by their peers. Drawing on a unique pair of thinkers - Russian psychologist Lev Vygotsky and rewned American teacher and educational writer Vivian G. Paley-Gillian Dowley McNamee elucidates the ways, and reasons, this activity is so successful. She shows how story acting offers a larger blueprint for curricula that helps ensure all preschools-t just those for society's elite-are excellent. McNamee outlines how story acting cultivates children's oral and written language skills. She shows how it creates a crucial opportunity for teachers to guide children inside the interior logic and premises of an idea, and how it fosters the creation of a literary community. Starting with Vygotsky and Paley, McNamee paints a detailed portrait of high-quality preschool teaching, showing how educators can deliver on the promise of Head Start and provide a setting for all young children to become articulate, thoughtful, and literate learners.
- Author BiographyGillian Dowley McNamee is professor of child development and director of teacher education at the Erikson Institute in Chicago. She is coauthor of Early Literacy, The Fifth Dimension: An After School Program Built on Diversity and Bridging: Assessment for Teaching and Learning in Early Childhood Classrooms.
- Author(s)Gillian Dowley McNamee
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication19/05/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note5 line drawings
- Weight340 g
- Width85 mm
- Height55 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byMichael Cole
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.