About this product
- DescriptionThis is a brand new BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramatisation of a classic Raymond Chandler mystery featuring private eye, Philip Marlowe. Philip Marlowe's on a case: his client, a dried-up husk of a woman, wants him to recover a rare gold coin called a Brasher Doubloon, missing from her late husband's collection. That's the simple part. It becomes more complicated when Marlowe finds that everyone who handles the coin suffers a run of very bad luck: they always end up dead. That's also unlucky for a private investigator, because leaving a trail of corpses around LA gets cops' ses out of joint. If Marlowe doesn't wrap this one up fast, he's going to end up in jail - or worse, in a box in the ground...
- Author BiographyRaymond Chandler was born in Chicago in 1888. He was educated at Dulwich College, London and studied international law in France and Germany. He published a number of poems and essays in local papers and worked as a reporter, essayist, and book reviewer. After serving for the Canadian Army during World War I he became a bookkeeper and auditor for Dabney Oil Syndicate. In 1939 he published The Big Sleep to instant acclaim in Britain and the US, introducing the world to his iconic private eye, Philip Marlowe. With Farewell My Lovely and The Long Goodbye, Chandler cemented his reputation as a giant of American popular culture and master of a style of detective fiction that would be widely admired and imitated. Chandler turned to screenwriting with Double Indemnity. He continued to write for Hollywood during the heyday of the Hollywood studio system, receiving an Oscar nomination for The Blue Dahlia. In 1946 Chandler received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for screenplay and in 1954 for novel writing. During the last year of his life he was made President of the Mystery Writers of America. He died from pneumonia in 1959.
- Author(s)Raymond Chandler
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication20/10/2011
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight91 g
- Width124 mm
- Height142 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Running Time90
- Edition Statementabridged edition
Best Selling in Audio Books
- AU $24.14New
- AU $46.32New
- AU $24.29New
- AU $25.43New
Save on Audio Books
- AU $42.84Trending at AU $44.72
- AU $18.38Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $31.19Trending at AU $34.24
- AU $34.41Trending at AU $49.51
- AU $32.64Trending at AU $46.03
- AU $36.66Trending at AU $38.67
- AU $12.73Trending at AU $14.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.