All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUnquestionably the best English translation of Herodotus to have appearedin the past half-century. The Times Literary Supplement In Tom Holland s vibrant translation, one of the great masterpieces of Western history springs to life. Herodotus of Halicarnassus hailed by Cicero as the Father of History composed his histories around 440 BC. The earliest surviving work of nfiction, The Histories works its way from the Trojan War through an epic account of the war between the Persian empire and the Greek city-states in the fifth century BC, recording landmark events that ensured the development of Western culture and still capture our modern imagination. Beautifully packaged in a Penguin Classics Deluxe edition with a comprehensive array of tools to guide first-time readers and experts alike, this accessible translation makes Herodotus fresh and irresistible once more. For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world. With more than 1,700 titles, Penguin Classics represents a global bookshelf of the best works throughout history and across genres and disciplines. Readers trust the series to provide authoritative texts enhanced by introductions and tes by distinguished scholars and contemporary authors, as well as up-to-date translations by award-winning translators.
- Author BiographyHERODOTUS was born around 480 bc in Halicarnassus, on the southwest coast of Asia Minor. Few facts are known about his life but he remains known through his life s work, The Histories. TOM HOLLAND is the award-winning author of Rubicon, Persian Fire, and most recently In the Shadow of the Sword. He lives in London. PAUL CARTLEDGE is the author of Sparta and Lakonia and The Greeks. He is A. G. Leventis Professor of Greek Culture at the University of Cambridge.
- Author(s)Herodotus,Paul Cartledge,Tom Holland
- PublisherPenguin Books India Pvt Ltd
- Date of Publication25/09/2013
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintPenguin Books India
- Weight816 g
- Width145 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.