All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the ancients to the moderns, questions of ecomic theory and policy have been an important part of intellectual and public debate, engaging the attention of some of history's greatest minds. This book brings together readings from more than two thousand years of writings on ecomic subjects. Through these selections, the reader can see first-hand how the great minds of past grappled with some of the central social and ecomic issues of their times and, in the process, enhanced our understanding of how ecomic systems function. This collection of readings covers the major themes that have preoccupied ecomic thinkers throughout the ages, including price determination and the underpinnings of the market system, monetary theory and policy, international trade and finance, income distribution, and the appropriate role for government within the ecomic system. These ideas unfold, develop, and change course over time at the hands of scholars such as Aristotle, St. Thomas Aquinas, John Locke, Francois Quesnay, David Hume, Adam Smith, Thomas Robert Malthus, David Ricardo, John Stuart Mill, Karl Marx, William Stanley Jevons, Alfred Marshall, Irving Fisher, Thorstein Veblen, John Maynard Keynes, Milton Friedman, and Paul Samuelson. Each reading has been selected with a view to both enlightening the reader as to the major contributions of the author in question and to giving the reader a broad view of the development of ecomic thought and analysis over time. This book will be useful for students, scholars, and lay people with an interest in the history of ecomic thought and the history of ideas generally.
- Author BiographySteven G. Medema is a Professor of Economics at the University of Colorado at Denver. He is also Editor of Historians of Economics and Economic Thought and Economics Broadly Considered also published by Routledge. Warren J. Samuels was Professor Emeritus of Economics at Michigan State University, USA. He was the author of a host of classic books on the history of economic thought including The Classical Theory of Economic Policy and Pareto on Policy. He died in August 2011.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/05/2013
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note68 black & white illustrations, 6 black & white tables, 41 black & white halftones, 27 black & white line drawings
- Weight1247 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine46 mm
- Edited bySteven G. Medema,Warren J. Samuels
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.