All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $52.78
About this product
- DescriptionAn original, splendidly illustrated history of gardens as seen through the eyes of painters by the highly acclaimed author of Landscape Painting: A History. The creation of gardens was among the first achievements of early civilizations, and garden design was already highly developed in antiquity. Pictures of gardens are a reflection of the social, historical, and aesthetic context in which gardens were conceived. The focus of this captivating book is t the gardens themselves or the different concepts of the garden, but rather the representation of gardens in paintings. The author examines why artists paint gardens by covering the varied and lively 2,000-year history of the garden picture using 180 garden masterpieces as examples. The text begins with a look at ancient Rome, when paintings of gardens, as found in villas in Pompeii, were already valued as works of art. The wide-ranging coverage also includes pictures of charming medieval gardens in books of hours; Botticelli's masterwork La Primavera, set in a grove of orange trees; views of well-kwn historic gardens, such as those at Versailles; painter's gardens, as for example, Monet's Giverny; and modern gardens depicted by Frida Kahlo, Andy Warhol, and David Hockney, among others. For collectors of art history books and garden books, this lovely volume should appeal to a broad audience.
- Author BiographyNils Buttner is a professor of art history at Dortmund University. He is the author of Landscape Painting: A History, The Invention of the Landscape, and the co-author of Jacob van Ruisdael in Bentheim and Peter Paul Rubens: Baroque Passions, among other titles. He has also written numerous catalog essays and has served as a curator for several museum exhibitions.
- Author(s)Niles Buttner
- PublisherAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/10/2008
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Content Note180 full-colour illustrations
- Weight2028 g
- Width282 mm
- Height310 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Translated byRussell Stockman
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.