All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Verecunda, a girl in love with a Roman gladiator, who etched his name on a love token, to the footballer and television presenter Gary Lineker, and popular fashion consultant Gok Wan, it is characters such as this that have contributed to Leicester's long and exciting history, and sent its name around the world. It was in Leicester that DNA fingerprinting was invented and Thomas Cook pioneered his dream of tourism for the masses. Sir David Attenborough met his first disaur and Alfred Russel Wallace formulated the concept of natural selection, possibly before Charles Darwin. Images w recognised around the world, such as Thomas the Tank Engine, and the polar bear that promotes Fox's Glacier Mints, were created in Leicester, as were the diaries of Adrian Mole and Walker's crisps. Joseph Merrick, also kwn as the Elephant Man, was born in the town, and it was here that a young apprentice in Leicester's largest textile factory learned how to build bicycles and gave his name to Curry's retail stores. The stories of the men and women who were at the forefront of invention, scientific discovery and entertainment, politics and faith are inextricably linked with the bigger picture of the development and growth of a major English city over two thousand years, and are celebrated in The History of Leicester in 100 People.
- Author BiographyStephen Butt studied Psychology at Durham University and gained an MA in Local History from Nottingham University. He works as a Senior Broadcast Journalist for the BBC in Leicester. He is well-published, having contributed to various academic research areas. His last book, Central Leicester in old images, published in 2005, has recently been reprinted by The History Press. Stephen presents a weekly local history programme on BBC Radio Leicester, and is currently working with the TV historian Michael Wood, providing local research for a ground-breaking series to be broadcast in 2011 on the history of English village settlements.
- Author(s)Stephen Butt
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/10/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note100
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $73.88Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.