The History of Rome in Painting by Jacqueline Champeaux (Multiple copy pack, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $291.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $204.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA sumptuously illustrated history of Rome, the Eternal City--the capital of Italy and world art--as captured by painters from the Antiquity through the twentieth century, in one luxurious hardcover volume with slipcase. From its ancient status as the jewel of an empire to its modern incarnation as a troubled, yet culturally vibrant European capital, Rome has compelled the imagination of artists for over two thousand years. Now, in The History of Rome in Painting, that entire span is brought to life through the visions of the greatest painters of the past millennium. As two previous Abbeville volumes, The History of Paris in Painting and The History of Venice in Painting, did for their respective cities, Rome provides the most luxurious possible visual presentation of one of the world's most beautiful places. Editors Maria Teresa Caracciolo and Roselyne de Ayala, with the help of six other expert contributors, guide the reader through the colorful and tumultuous history of the Eternal City, from its humble origins as a village on the Palatine Hill to the cultural explosion of the Renaissance, from its reinvention as the capital of modern Italy to the watershed of the Lateran Treaty and beyond. Here you will find portraits of the city's most famous and controversial leaders--from Julius Caesar to Mussolini--as well as its long succession of popes and aristocratic families. Depicted also, in brilliant detail, are the city's architectural and sculptural landmarks: Saint Peter's Basilica, Trajan's Column, the Fontana di Trevi, and many more. With its more than three hundred full-color illustrations, including four spectacular gatefolds; its insightful text, written by leading art historians; and its valuable apparatus, including capsule biographies of 175 artists; The History of Rome in Painting is an important achievement in scholarship and publishing and a fitting tribute to the Eternal City. It is a true feast for art lovers, travelers, and historians alike. In art history as in the ancient Empire, all roads lead to Rome ; here in one volume is the city as generations of painters have sought it, dreamed it, and captured it for all time. Like its predecessors The History of Venice in Painting and The History of Paris in Painting, it belongs in every art lover's library.
- Author BiographyMaria Teresa Caracciolo is the author or editor of several art histories and books about Rome. Roselyne de Ayala has written or edited a number of books on art, literature, and music, including Brilliant Beginnings: The Youthful Works of Great Artists, Writers, and Composers (Abrams, 2000). With text by: Jacqueline Champeaux, Serena Romano, Ivan Foletti, Luciano Arcangeli, Andrea Zanelli, and Micol Forti
- Author(s)Jacqueline Champeaux
- PublisherAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication08/09/2011
- FormatMultiple copy pack
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAbbeville Press Inc.,U.S.
- Content Note400 Colour
- Weight6856 g
- Width280 mm
- Height432 mm
- Spine94 mm
- Edited byMaria Teresa Caracciolo,Roselyne de Ayala
- Contained items statementContains Book
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.