All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing from an exhaustive collection of original Jewish accounts and sources t available until the fall of Nicolae Ceausescu in the late 1980s, Jean Ancel provides a detailed analysis of the path of antisemitism that led to the unspeakable horrors of the Holocaust in Romania. The Romanians and other nations inside and outside the Balkans related differently to their Jews and other Jews, that is, those living in districts annexed to Romania after the First World War and those in areas occupied and annexed to the Romanian military administration after the Soviet invasion in June 1941. The Jews of the Regat, the core Romanian principality, suffered pogroms, decrees, and degradation, but on the whole they survived the Holocaust. Although more Jews survived in Romania than in any other n-occupied country allied with Germany, contemporary Romanian sources show that the Antonescu regime and Romania itself killed at least 400,000 Jews, including 180,000 Ukranian Jews. Among Nazi Germany's allies, Romania contributed most to the extermination of the Jewish people.
- Author BiographyJean Ancel (1940-2008) was a Romanian-born Israeli independent historian and a research associate of Yad Vashem's International Institute for Holocaust Research. He is the author and editor of numerous books, including The Economic Destruction of Romanian Jewry (Yad Vashem, 2007), Prelude to Mass Murder: The Pogrom in Iisi, Romania, June 28 and Thereafter (Yad Vashem, 2014), and Resisting the Storm: Romania, 1940-1947: Memoirs.
- Author(s)Jean Ancel
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleComprehensive History of the Holocaust
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note1 map, 28 tables, 4 charts
- Weight1216 g
- Width165 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Edited byLeon Volovici,Miriam Caloianu
- Translated byYaffah Murciano
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.