All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.35Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionThis second edition of The History of the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew is the authorised history of the world's greatest botanic gardens. Comprehensively revised, this stunning, richly illustrated reference takes in every aspect of Kew's history over two centuries - from its origin, pivotal roles in collecting, classifying and identifying the world's plants and the commercial crops it gave to the British Empire, to being a world rewned institution at the cutting edge of plant science. Kew's heritage - the Herbarium, its library, art and architecture, from Kew Palace and Burton's great Palm House to the Princess of Wales Conservatory, state of the art laboratories, seed bank and new Davies Alpine House - is illustrated and described, together with the events leading to its UNESCO World Heritage Site status in 2003. Lastly, it is a social history of the scientists, architects, designers and gardeners who have made Kew, from its humble beginnings as a small physic garden nearly 250 years ago, to the international centre for plant science it is today.
- Author BiographyRay Desmond was Chief Librarian and Archivist at The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and subsequently a Deputy Keeper in the British Library. He is a Vice-President and former Chairman of the Garden History Society and former President of the Society for the History of Natural History which awarded him their Founders Medal. His books on the history of botany and horticulture include Bibliography of British Gardens (1984), A Celebration of Flowers (1987), Dictionary of British and Irish Botanists and Horticulturalists (1994) and Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker(1999).
- Author(s)Ray Desmond
- PublisherRoyal Botanic Gardens
- Date of Publication01/10/2007
- Place of PublicationRichmond
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Botanic Gardens
- Content Note168 col, 124 b/w
- Weight1882 g
- Width198 mm
- Height265 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.