All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $31.19Free postage
- AU $33.76Free postage
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.89
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.95
- AU $44.25Trending at AU $49.22
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.65
- AU $13.84Trending at AU $17.86
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $21.38
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Maximov-the-Drinker collapses on his settee after a five-day binge, visions of his first love and glimpses of life as it once was, and can never be again, flood his mind. A horrible sense of sadness and regret overwhelms him - he has wasted his youthful years on drink. When his housekeeper enters the room the next morning, she finds in place of her master, and the settee on which he slept, a vat of ruby-red wine. The local priest, captain of the military garrison and Cherv-the-Moneylender, visit the house. Awed by such a strange and compelling sight, they agree to keep the discovery between themselves until a military delegation arrives from Petersburg. However, ne of them can resist sampling the wine, each experiencing wondrous visions. What's more, the vat miraculously replenishes itself, providing an inexhaustible supply. Soon word spreads throughout the town and all who drink of it become desperate to gain exclusive access - at their peril. The Holy Drinker is written in the style of a Gogolian fable. It is set in a provincial Russian town at the turn of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyNovelist, short story writer and poet, Neil Randall was born in Norfolk, England in 1975. His literary life, however, began during a trip to St. Petersburg in the mid-nineties. The richness of this experience aroused a great passion for Russian literature and culture, providing the inspiration for his novels. While influenced by classic authors such as Gogol, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and Chekhov, Randall is also a big admirer of contemporary writers such as Andrey Kurkov and Olga Grushin, especially Death and the Penguin and The Dream Life of Sukhanov. His work been published in the United Kingdom, United States and Australia.
- Author(s)Neil Randall
- PublisherKnox Robinson Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication14/01/2014
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKnox Robinson Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight422 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.