All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Holy Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire, especially under their charismatic leaders Charles V and Suleyman I, were major empires of the early-modern period. Both exercised global power as, respectively, leaders of the universal 'res publica Christiana' and 'dar-es Islam'. However, both lost supreme power in the course of the 17th and 18th centuries and began the transformation to absolutist nation states. This account of the important transition to modern tions of statehood is vital for understanding the reform strategies of both empires in administration, taxation, conduct of foreign policy and formation of the modern state. Both empires adopted differing strategies of survival and development: Austria's 'Enlightened Despotism' and the Austro-Hungarian Empire traced their origins to the Holy Roman Empire; while the Ottoman Empire, reformed and modernised, developed into the nation state of the Republic of Turkey. Mehmet Sinan Birdal draws upon original historical sources and the teachings of Habermas and the Frankfurt School for the doctrine of 'legitimation' as the theoretical basis for political authority in this original and revisionist work for historians, international relations specialists and political scientists.
- Author BiographyMehmet Sinan Birdal received his PhD in International Relations from the University of Southern California. He is currently Assistant Professor at Maltepe University in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Author(s)Mehmet Sinan Birdal
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/07/2011
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight431 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.