All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Holy Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire, especially under their charismatic leaders Charles V and Suleyman I, were major empires of the early-modern period. Both exercised global power as, respectively, leaders of the universal 'res publica Christiana' and 'dar-es Islam'. However, both lost supreme power in the course of the 17th and 18th centuries and began the transformation to absolutist nation states. This account of the important transition to modern tions of statehood is vital for understanding the reform strategies of both empires in administration, taxation, conduct of foreign policy and formation of the modern state. Both empires adopted differing strategies of survival and development: Austria's 'Enlightened Despotism' and the Austro-Hungarian Empire traced their origins to the Holy Roman Empire; while the Ottoman Empire, reformed and modernised, developed into the nation state of the Republic of Turkey. Mehmet Sinan Birdal draws upon original historical sources and the teachings of Habermas and the Frankfurt School for the doctrine of 'legitimation' as the theoretical basis for political authority in this original and revisionist work for historians, international relations specialists and political scientists.
- Author BiographyMehmet Sinan Birdal is Assistant Professor at Isik University in Istanbul, Turkey. He holds a PhD in International Relations from the University of Southern California.
- Author(s)Mehmet Sinan Birdal
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication18/12/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight249 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.91Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.60Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.