All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Homeric Hymns are a crucial work in the Western literary can, and Peter McDonald's new verse translations offer the major modern account of this still under-appreciated body of ancient poetry. The thirty-three 'hymns' are poetic accounts of ancient Greek gods, including Apollo, Dionysus, Aphrodite, Zeus, and Poseidon. Some of the poems are micro-epics in their own right, recounting the lives and affairs of the divine; taken together, they form a meditation on the primal themes of love, war, betrayal, desire, and paternity, and contemplate the dangerous proximity of gods and men. The book includes a new translation of the 'Life of Homer', a narrative incorporating the shorter poems kwn as Homer's Epigrams, attributed to Pseudo-Herodotus. Two appendices provide verse translations of episodes from Homer's Odyssey and Hesiod's Theogony, while McDonald gives fresh versions throughout of relevant passages from Pindar, Aeschylus, Sophocles, and other Greek poets. The accompanying tes and commentaries on the poems are the most generous and authoritative of any translation. This book revives an ancient classic for the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyPeter McDonald was born and grew up in Belfast. He won the Newdigate Prize for Poetry and an Eric Gregory Award. A University teacher, he is currently Christopher Tower Student and Tutor in Poetry in the English Language at Christ Church, Oxford. A prominent critic of modern and contemporary poetry, he has published a book on Louis MacNeice, a study of Northern Irish poetry entitled Mistaken Identities, and, most recently, Serious Poetry: Form and Authority from Yeats to Hill. He has edited MacNeice's Selected Plays, and is also the editor of the forthcoming new edition of MacNeice's Collected Poems.
- Author(s)Peter McDonald
- PublisherCarcanet Press Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2016
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFyfield Books
- Weight458 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine135 mm
- Translated byPeter McDonald
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.