All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKwn for her fine translations of octosyllabic narrative verse, Patricia Terry presents translations of four major practitioners of this dominant literary form of twelfth- and thirteenth-century France. Her introduction discusses the varying views of women and love in the texts and their place in the courtly tradition. From Chretien de Troyes Terry includes an early work, Philomena, here translated into verse for the first time. The other great writer of this period was Marie de France, the first woman in the European narrative tradition. Lanval is newly translated for this edition, which also features four of Marie's other poems. The collection further includes The Reflection by Jean Renart, kwn for his realistic settings; and the anymous Chatelaine of Vergi, a fatalistic and perhaps more modern depiction of love.
- Author BiographyPatricia Terry has been Professor of Literature at Barnard College and the University of California, San Diego. Her translation of Renard the Fox is available from California in paperback.
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication25/05/1995
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight27 g
- Width140 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byPatricia Terry
- Translated byPatricia Terry
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.