All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew other nations have undergone as profound a change in their social, political, and cultural life as Mongolia did in the twentieth century. Beginning the century as a largely rural, madic, and tradition-oriented society, the nation was transformed by the end of this century into a largely urban, post-industrial, and cosmopolitan one. This study seeks to understand the effects that Western-inspired modernity has had on the nature of cultural tradition in the country, focusing in particular on development of the morin khuur or horse-head fiddle, a two-stringed bowed folk lute that features a horse's head carved into its crown. As well as being one of the most popular instruments in the contemporary national musical culture, it has also become an icon of Mongolian national identity and a symbol of the nation's ancient cultural heritage. In its modern form, however, the horse-head fiddle reflects the values of a modern, cosmopolitan society that put it profoundly at odds with those of the traditional society. In so doing, it also reflects the cosmopolitan nature of the nation's contemporary national musical culture.
- Author BiographyPeter K. Marsh is Assistant Professor of Music at California State University, East Bay. He has written extensively on issues related to musical tradition and modernity in Mongolia, including Global Hip-Hop and Youth Cultural Politics in Urban Mongolia, in Mongolian Culture and Society in the Age of Globalization, edited by Henry G. Schwarz (Bellingham: Western Washington University Press, 2006).
- Author(s)Peter K. Marsh
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/08/2014
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note19 black & white illustrations, 19 black & white halftones
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.