All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPerhaps other of his vels better reveals Gio's perfect balance between lyricism and narrative, description and characterization, the epic and the particular, than The Horseman on the Roof. This vel, which Gio began writing in 1934 and which was published in 1951, expanded and solidified his reputation as one of Europe's most important writers.This is a vel of adventure, a roman courtois, that tells the story of Angelo, a bleman who has been forced to leave Italy because of a duel, and is returning to his homeland by way of Provence. But that region is in the grip of a cholera epidemic, travelers are being imprisoned behind barricades, and exposure to the disease is almost certain.Angelo's escapades, adventures, and heroic self-sacrifice in this hot, hallucinatory landscape, among corpses, criminals and rioting townspeople, share this epic tale.
- Author BiographyJean Giono was born in Manosque, a small Provencal town in southeastern France. He wrote more than fifty novels, poetry collections, and plays, and in addition translated the works of Smollett and Melville into French. He died in 1970.
- Author(s)Jean Giono
- PublisherNorth Point Press
- Date of Publication01/01/1982
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleHorseman on the Roof Ppr
- Series Part/Volume Number0001
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorth Point Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight449 g
- Width130 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byJonathan Griffin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $24.16Trending at AU $29.95
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.