Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.07Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are approximately seven million horses in the United States. Each year, over 70,000 end up going to slaughter. Hundreds of thousands more are abused, neglected, or abandoned by callous and irresponsible owners. With a heart as big as a pasture, author Melanie Bowles takes some of these horses into her sanctuary called Proud Spirit. Here, horses that arrive listless and broken find a home where they finally kw safety.The bond between horse and caretaker does t happen overnight. It hangs by a fine thread of trust, which the author earns with endless patience and a full commitment to the well-being of the horses in her care. The horses, some of which have suffered severe abuse, astound her time and again with their ability to trust, return the love they are given, and enjoy the companionship of other horses.You will meet an entire stableful of remarkable horses: Dusty, a young Thoroughbred who recovered from severe injuries to reveal a rambunctious personality and a knack for stealing hats. Maddy, an elderly mare, and Dancer, a gallant Appaloosa, both of whom had been isolated for years but whose ecstatic first acquaintance at Proud Spirit was, mysteriously, like the reunion of two soul mates. Annie, a little sorrel mare who will break your heart with her weary kindness and who found peace, at last, under an old oak tree in a pasture at Proud Spirit. Wrangler, a Miniature whose premature separation from his dam turned him into a tiny tormentor. His rowdy incence helped Marshal, a huge palomi Draft horse with neurological trauma, become playful and engaged as he educated Wrangler in horsy manners. The Horses of Proud Spirit is an homage to the spirit of these alluring creatures and a moving memoir of lessons learned in compassion, strength, and loss.
- Author BiographyMelanie Bowles, along with her husband, Jim, is the founder of Proud Spirit Horse Sanctuary. Since its modest beginnings in the early 1990s on just five acres of land in southwest Florida, Proud Spirit has evolved into an award-winning, 300-plus-acre facility and one of the most successful, longest-running sanctuaries for horses in the United States. Over the years, Melanie and Jim have intervened on the behalf of nearly 300 horses in need. Melanie is the author of three books that chronicle life at this unique ranch: The Horses of Proud Spirit, Hoof Prints: More Stories from Proud Spirit, and The Dogs of Proud Spirit.
- Author(s)Melanie Sue Bowles
- PublisherPineapple Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPineapple Press
- Weight318 g
- Width154 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.