The Human Drama of Abortion: A Global Search for Consensus by Jose S Barzelatto, Anibal Faundes (Hardback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $125.00Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeeply touched by the tragedies of botched abortions they witnessed as young physicians in Chile, in the 1970s and later around the world, the authors have attempted in their professional lives, and w in this book, to establish a framework for dialogue to replace the polarization that exists today. Doctors Faundes and Barzelatto use their decades of international work to document the personal experiences of different classes of women in different countries, and those countries' policies and practices. No other book provides such a comprehensive and reasoned examination of the entire topic of abortion, from the medical to the religious and ethical and from the psychological to the legal, in plain language understandable by n-specialists. The central thesis is that there are too many induced abortions in the world today, that most are preventable and should be prevented - a middle ground that both pro-life and pro-choice advocates can accept. The first part of the book reviews why women have abortions, as well as the magnitude and consequences. Other parts examine values, effective interventions, and what can be done to reach a necessary social consensus. The Portuguese edition of this book was issued at the very end of 2004. The Spanish edition, launched in mid-2005, is already in a second printing. The authors are making presentations at special events sponsored by universities, professional associations, and feminist networks in Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, and the United States.
- Author BiographyAnibal Faundes is Professor of Obstetrics at the University of Campinas, SP, Brazil, and Senior Researcher at Cemicamp, an internationally renowned center for research in reproductive health. He is currently Chair of the Committee on Sexual and Reproductive Rights of the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Jose S. Barzelatto, currently Vice President of the Center for Health and Social Policy, served from 1985 to 1989 as Director of the UNDP/WHO/World Bank Special Program for Research and Training in Human Reproduction and from 1989 to 1997 as Director of the Reproductive Health and Population Program of the Ford Foundation. He lives outside Washington, DC.
- Author(s)Anibal Faundes,Jose S Barzelatto
- PublisherVanderbilt University Press
- Date of Publication15/07/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationTennessee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVanderbilt University Press
- Content Notereferences, index
- Weight508 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $20.09Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.