The Human Genome: Book of Essential Knowledge by John Quackenbush (Hardback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $21.80Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $24.23+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe DNA sequence that comprises the human geme--the genetic blueprint found in each of our cells--is undoubtedly the greatest code ever to be broken. Completed at the dawn of a new millennium, the feat electrified both the scientific community and the general public with its tantalizing promise of new and better treatments for countless diseases, including Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes, and Parkinson's. Yet what is arguably the most important discovery of our time has also opened a Pandora's box of questions about who we are as humans and how the unique information stored in our gemes can and might be used, making it all the more important for everyone to understand the new science of gemics. In the CURIOSITY GUIDE TO THE HUMAN GENOME, Dr. John Quackenbush, a rewned scientist and professor, conducts a fascinating tour of the history and science behind the Human Geme Project and the techlogies that are revolutionizing the practice of medicine today. With a clear and engaging narrative style, he demystifies the fundamental principles of genetics and molecular biology, including the astounding ways in which genes function, alone or together with other genes and the environment, to either sustain life or trigger disease. In addition, Dr. Quackenbush goes beyond medicine to examine how DNA-sequencing techlogy is changing how we think of ourselves as a species by providing new insights about our earliest ancestors and reconfirming our inextricable link to all life on earth. Finally, he explores the legal and ethical questions surrounding such controversial topics as stem cell research, prenatal testing, forensics, and cloning, making this volume of the Curiosity Guides series an indispensable resource for navigating our brave new gemic world.
- Author BiographyDr. John Quackenbush is Professor of Biostatistics and Computational Biology, Professor of Cancer Biology, and Director of the Center for Cancer Computational Biology at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and Professor of Computational Biology and Bioinformatics at the Harvard School of Public Health. Trained as a theoretical physicist, he transitioned to biomedical research through his work on the Human Genome Project.
- Author(s)John Quackenbush
- PublisherCharlesbridge Publishing,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/07/2011
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintImagine Publishing, Inc
- Out-of-print date23/11/2015
- Content NoteBlack and white illustrations
- Weight372 g
- Width127 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.