All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEqual parts muckraking vel, transnational love story, and socially engaged parama, Cho Chongnae's The Human Jungle portrays China on the verge of becoming the world's dominant ecomic force. Against a backdrop of rapidly morphing urban landscapes, readers meet migrant workers, Korean manufacturers out to save a few bucks, high-flying venture capitalists, street thugs, and shakedown artists. The picture of China that emerges is at turns unsettling, awe-inspiring, and heart-breaking. Chongnae deftly portrays a giant awakening to its own raw, volatile, and often uncontrollable power. Translators Bruce Fulton and Ju-Chan Fulton have condensed three of Chongnae's Korean vels, each of which sold more than one million copies in South Korea, into this single English-language edition. Cho Chongnae is one of Korea's most important living writers. He is best kwn for a trio of massive historical vels: the ten-volume T'aebaek Mountains (1989), the twelve-volume Arirang (1995), and the ten-volume Han River (2002). Cho lives in Seoul, South Korea. Bruce Fulton and Ju-Chan Fulton are the translators of numerous volumes of modern Korean fiction, including the award-winning women's anthologies Words of Farewell and Wayfarer, and, with Marshall R. Pihl, Land of Exile: Contemporary Korean Fiction. They have received two National Endowment for the Arts Translation Fellowships, including the first ever given for a translation from the Korean language, and the first residency at the Banff International Literary Translation Centre awarded to translators from any Asian language. Bruce Fulton is the inaugural holder of the Young-Bin Min Chair in Korean Literature and Literary Translation at the University of British Columbia.
- Author BiographyChongnae Cho: Cho Chongnae is one of Korea's most important living writers. He is best known for a trio of massive historical novels: the 10-volume T'aebaek Mountains (1989), the 12-volume Arirang (1995), and the 10-volume Han River (2002).
- Author(s)Cho Chongnae
- PublisherChin Music Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2016
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationSeattle
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBroken Levee Books
- Weight657 g
- Width140 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Translated byBruce Fulton,Ju-Chan Fulton
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.89New
- AU $71.58New
- AU $78.99New
- AU $49.08New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.49Trending at AU $30.89
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.32
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $82.83
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $22.39
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.62
- AU $22.30Trending at AU $22.82
- AU $20.95Trending at AU $23.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.