All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn their concern with the perennial controversy between the two great areas in which men seek kwledge, three eminent literary scholars and a distinguished journalist in these essays address themselves to the question, Do the humanities provide a form of understanding of reality that the sciences do t? Monroe C. Beardsley maintains that the humanities considered as contributors to kwledge must deal with the same subject matter as the sciences, but literature and the arts can enlarge our powers of understanding human nature, although t in the way the sciences do (under empirically or logically verifiable laws). Northrop Frye, while ackwledging the difference in methodology and mental attitude, asserts that the humanities, on the other hand, express man's concern for this world most clearly in the myths by which man realizes his involvement in mankind and his responsibility for his own destiny. Frank Kermode argues that to follow the ways of sciences in searching out repetitions such as make myths is to lose sight of the unique, particular, and concrete expressions which underlie personal participation and sharpen the sensibilities. And this experience, he maintains, is the peculiar contribution of the humanities. In the final essay, Barry Bingham, editor and publisher of the Louisville Courier-Joumal, calls for a vigorous cultivation of the liberal arts in American life.
- Author BiographyThomas B. Stroup is professor of English at the University of Kentucky.
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight525 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Edited byThomas B. Stroup
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.