All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDon Quixote is often called the first modern vel; many would argue it is the greatest vel ever written. But compared with other world masterpieces - from the Iliad to Paradise Lost , or from Oedipus the King to Hamlet or Life is a Dream , for example - the storyline of Don Quixote is remarkably uninspiring and lowly: a middle-aged man becomes mad reading vels and makes a fool of himself by believing he is a hero. The first great modern vel is a warning about the reading and the writing of vels. In this original study by Cesareo Bandera, the intimate connection between the simplicity and humility of the story and its greatness is explored. Other comparisons are also made: the story of the picaresque rogue, on the one hand, and the psychological insights of the pastoral vel, on the other. Through these analyses the meaning and significance of Cervantes' vel are developed. The book takes into critical account Mikhail Bakhtin's theory of the vel, as well as Michel Foucault's views about madness and civilization, in order to bring into relief the modernity of Don Quixote . From ather angle the contrasting views on human desire of such critics as Unamu and Rene Girard become central to a new understanding of Don Quixote's madness, as well as to the development of the main connection between the humility of the story and its greatness.
- Author BiographyCesareo Bandera, professor emeritus of Spanish literature at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, is author of numerous essays and several books in English and Spanish including The Sacred Game: The Role of the Sacred in the Genesis of Modern Literary Fiction.
- Author(s)Cesareo Bandera
- PublisherThe Catholic University of America Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2006
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Catholic University of America Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight671 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.