All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis picture book for young readers about family, friendship and faith is rich in the details of Middle Eastern village life. It tells the warm story of a bond between a father, a son, and the son's favorite camel, as well as their devotion to the Muslim faith, and the power of prayer in their daily life. Salah and his camel, Qadiim, are constant companions: They work together, eat together, and sleep together. Salah is distressed, however, because his camel always seems so sad and downcast, hanging his head low. But in middle of one night, Salah remembers what his father has told him -- that while mankind kws only ninety-nine names for Allah, there are actually one hundred names. What if Qadiim, the camel, could learn the hundredth name? Under the stars Salah prays to Allah with all his strength. The next day-- a seeming miracle! -- the camel Quadiim carries his head high with a most kwing look. Does Quadiim kw the one hundredth name? Beautifully written by Shulamith Levey Oppenheim and complemented by illustrations by Michael Hays that portray the lush, verdant landscape of the Middle East -- from the banks of the Nile to its lumius starlit nights -- here is a spiritual and touching story of an Islamic family. School Library Journal says: Set in a Muslim village in Egypt, this tale of friendship and faith is warm and satisfying...(t)old with sincerity and dignity, this tale skillfully weaves together cultural and religious images...Hays's handsome acrylic-on-linen illustrations create a strong sense of place.
- Author BiographyShulamath Levey Oppenheim is the author of I Love You, Bunny Rabbit, illustrated by Cyd Moore (Boyds Mills Press, 1995), and Iblis, illustrated by Ed Young (Little Brown, 1994). She lives in Amherst, Massachusetts. Michael Hays has illustrated many acclaimed books for children, including Abiyoyo by Pete Seeger (Macmillan, 1994), and The Boy Who Loved Morning by Shannon K. Jacobs (Little, Brown, 1993). He lives in Chicago, Illinois.
- Author(s)Shulamith L. Oppenheim
- PublisherSoma Books Ltd
- Date of Publication31/12/1995
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSoma Books Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight172 g
- Width254 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Illustrator(s)Michael Hays
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.