Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.39
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.81
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $20.37
- AU $28.09Trending at AU $28.43
- AU $22.62Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $16.48Trending at AU $17.15
About this product
- SynopsisBioethics emerged in the 1960s from a conviction that physicians and researchersneeded the guidance of philosophers in handling the issues raised by technological advances inmedicine. It blossomed as a response to the perceived doctor-knows-best paternalism of thetraditional medical ethic and today plays a critical role in health policies and treatmentdecisions. Bioethics claimed to offer a set of generally applicable, universally accepted guidelinesthat would simplify complex situations. In Thieves of Virtue , Tom Koch arguesthat bioethics has failed to deliver on its promises. Instead, he argues, bioethics has promoted aview of medicine as a commodity whose delivery is predicated not on care but on economic efficiency.Koch questions the "founding myths" of bioethics by which moral philosophers becamepractical ethicists who served as adjudicators of medical practice and planning. High philosophy, heargues, does not provide a guide to the practical dilemmas that arise at the bedside of sickpatients. Nobody, he writes, carries Kant to a clinical consult. At the heart of bioethics, Kochwrites, is a "lifeboat ethic" that assumes "scarcity" of medical resources is anatural condition rather than the result of prior economic, political, and social choices. The ideaof natural scarcity requiring ethical triage signaled a shift in ethical emphasis from patient careand the physician's responsibility for it to neoliberal accountancies and the promotion of researchas the preeminent good. The solution to the failure of bioethics is not a new set of simplisticprinciples. Koch points the way to a transformed medical ethics that is humanist, responsible, anddefensible.,In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.Now, for the first time, all three books of the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins are available in a gorgeous hardcover boxed set. The books include the New York Times bestselling The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and the greatly anticipated final book in the trilogy: Mockingjay.,Perfect for Christmas, this slipcase of the hardback editions will make fans of The Hunger Games very happy! The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a rich Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are forced to participate in The Hunger Games, a televised event where the participants, or 'tributes', must fight to the death in a large outdoor arena until only one remains. The story follows fatherless 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12 who volunteers for the Games in place of her younger sister, Prim.,The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!,The stunning Hunger Games trilogy is complete! The extraordinary, ground breaking New York Times bestsellers The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, along with the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay, are available for the first time ever in a beautiful boxset edition. Stunning, gripping, and powerful. The trilogy is now complete!
- AuthorSuzanne Collins
- SeriesThe Hunger Games
- FormatHardcover / Hardcover
- Publication Date2010-08-24
- PublisherScholastic, Incorporated
- Series Volume Number1
- Volume Number1
- Weight58.5 Oz
- Height4 In.
- Width6 In.
- Length9 In.
- GroupJuvenile Audience
- Grade FromSeventh Grade
- Grade Toup
- Age Range12 - UP
- Dewey Decimal813.6
- Dewey Edition23
- ReviewsPraise for The Hunger Games series #1 USA Today Bestseller #1 New York Times Bestseller #1 Wall Street Journal Bestseller #1 Publishers Weekly Bestseller A People magazine (Top 10) Best Book of 2009 A Time Magazine Best Fiction Book of 2009 A Best Book of 2009 A Kirkus Best Book of 2009 A 2009 BooklistEditors' Choice "Whereas Katniss kills with finesse, Collins writes with raw power." - Time Magazine "Collins has joined J. K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer as a writer of children's books that adults are eager to read." -Bloomberg.com "Perfect pacing and electrifying world-building." - Booklist , starred review "A humdinger of a cliffhanger will leave readers clamoring for volume three." - Kirkus Reviews , starred review "Forget Edward and Jacob... readers will be picking sides-Peeta or Gale?" - Publishers Weekly , starred review "Leaves enough questions tantalizingly unanswered for readers to be desperate for the next installment." - School Library Journal , starred review
Most relevant reviews
- tonylikesrap111 Aug, 2016by
Very Happy with my purchase!
Books are in great conditions, just as described
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- loverider6712 Nov, 2015by
Hunger game 3 book set
Books as received in great shape, great deal, fast shop👍 AAA+
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- compscrap09 Apr, 2013by
Easy reading story with well planned plot lines. It will make you angry.
Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, would have liked nothing more than for her fire to have been quenched and to just return home to take care of her younger sister. Yet she un intentionally started a rebellion against an evil totalitarian state and was placed at the for front as the rebellions spokeswoman. Yet as bad as things are for the people, the rebellion is a terrible risk that had already failed once 75 years before and if it fails again the tiny portions of peace and security the people of the districts of Panem once had will be gone and their lives would be torment. The books had an obvious 1984 feeling to them and even though I felt some things did not mesh up well throughout the story (hover plane bombers slow enough to be hit with a bow and arrow?) it was a good story that kept my attention. There were people to love, people to morn and people to out right loath and hate. I am sure it is a popular story but I doubt it will make it to the realm of greatness. But it doesn't have to in order to be enjoyable. Read full review
- amn8159707 Nov, 2016by
I don't own many books. I tend to own only the books that I will read over and over again. So that being said, this is definitely a book that you will want to read over and over again. And I'm so glad I own it now.
Verified purchase: Yes
- whita-abbe04 Jan, 2017by
I loved all three of these books, would recommend if you like action!
Verified purchase: No