All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis trilogy tells how Ian Nicolson, yachtsman, naval architect and author, joined a Canadian and a Norwegian to sail the 45-foot ketch Maken from England via the Panama Canal to Vancouver, Canada. It goes on to describe how Ian returned home from Vancouver: how he hitch-hiked his way between Canada's east and west coasts, via California; found the bare hull of a 30-foot, 6-inch yacht in a shipyard at Chester, near Halifax; finished the building and rigging of her in a few weeks with his own hands and the help of the Stevens family and their small staff; and sailed her across the Atlantic ocean and up the Channel to Weymouth without stopping. It describes how Ian built the experimental ketch, the 'St Mary' with his wife, Morag, and the help of their friends and neighbours, in Scotland and achieved racing success. In this masterful telling, with a wonderful ecomy in words, a modesty which will t deceive the experienced reader, and useful drawings of constructional and rigging details, Ian Nicolson brings the tales to life and takes his audience along with him on his fascinating adventures.
- Author BiographyIan Nicolson joined Alfred Mylne the Second as a full design partner at the age of 31. These two very different personalities worked together for 20 years to produce a variety of craft. At the same time, Nicolson set up a boat survey organisation which became the most successful in Scotland, so that he went all over the world doing surveys. Ian has had 23 books published and many hundreds of technical articles. He has had his own magazine column since 1955.
- Author(s)Ian Nicolson
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectShips & Waterways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.