All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume offers an analysis of the scale and nature of the immulogical issues facing regenerative medicine, drawing on the expertise of laboratories around the world who have taken up the challenge of applying their expertise in immulogy to the vagaries of stem cell biology. In Part I, we explore the extent to which the principles of allograft rejection, learned over several decades from our experiences of whole organ transplantation, apply within the unique context of cell replacement therapy. Part II discusses various invative ways of addressing the issues of immugenicity, while, in Part III, we focus exclusively on the induction of immulogical tolerance through a variety of vel approaches. It is our hope that this systematic analysis of the current state of the field will galvanise efforts to solve an issue which has so far remained intractable.
- Author BiographyDr. Paul Fairchild began his research career in Oxford, where he studied for a doctorate within the Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, where his research focused on the immune response to organ allografts. After spending five years as a post-doctoral fellow investigating the etiology of autoimmune disease in the Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, he returned to Oxford, where he is currently a University Lecturer in Pre-clinical Medicine within the Sir William Dunn School of Pathology and a Fellow of Trinity College. In 2008, Paul Fairchild founded the Oxford Stem Cell Institute (OSCI), for which he currently serves as Co-Director. As a highly interdisciplinary organization, the OSCI focuses on exploiting the properties of stem cells for the treatment of some of the most intractable chronic and degenerative diseases. It is within this context that he continues to apply his background in transplantation immunology, in order to investigate the nature of the immune response to tissues differentiated from pluripotent stem cells, and develop approaches to the induction and maintenance of immunological tolerance.
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication17/07/2010
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleStem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note12 black & white tables, biography
- Weight534 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byPaul J. Fairchild
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.