All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Importance of Being Earnest marks a central moment in late-Victorian literature, t only for its wit but also for its role in the shift from a Victorian to a Modern consciousness. The play began its career as a biting satire directed at the very audience who received it so delightedly, but ended its initial run as a harbinger of Wilde's personal downfall when his lover's father, who would later bring about Wilde's arrest and imprisonment, attempted to disrupt the production. In addition to its focus on the textual history of the play, this Broadview Edition of Earnest provides a wide array of appendices. The edition locates Wilde's work among the artistic and cultural contexts of the late nineteenth century and will provide scholars, students, and general readers with an important sourcebook for the play and the social, creative, and critical contexts of mid-1890s English life.
- Author BiographySamuel Lyndon Gladden is Associate Professor, Coordinator of Graduate Studies in English, and Dean's Faculty Administrative Fellow for the College of Humanities and Fine Arts at the University of Northern Iowa.
- Author(s)Oscar Wilde
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/01/2010
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleBroadview Editions
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Weight112 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited bySamuel Lyndon Gladden
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.84
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.