All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $107.68
- AU $73.18Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $27.07Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $44.26Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.44
- AU $45.19Trending at AU $46.03
- AU $20.59Trending at AU $22.70
About this product
- DescriptionParis, 1959. As dusk settles over the immigrant quarter, 12-year-old Michel Marini - amateur photographer and compulsive reader - is drawn to the hum of the local bistro. From his usual position at the football table, he has a vantage point on a grown-up world - of rock 'n' roll and of the Algerian War. But as the sun sinks and the plastic players spin, Michel's concentration is t on the game, but on the huddle of men gathered in the shadows of a back room...Past the bar, behind a partly drawn curtain, a group of eastern European men gather, where under a cirrus of smoke and over the squares of chess boards, they tell of their lives before France - of lovers and wives, children and ambitions, all exiled behind the Iron Curtain. Listening to this band of survivors and raconteurs, Michel is introduced to a world beyond the boundaries of his childhood experience, a world of men made formidable in the face of history, ideas and politics: the world of the Incorrigible Optimists Club.
- Author BiographyJean-Michel Guenassia was born in Algeria, 1950. He is a prolific screenwriter and he lives in France.
- Author(s)Jean-Michel Guenassia
- PublisherAtlantic Books
- Date of Publication07/08/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAtlantic Books
- Weight726 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine47 mm
- Translated byProfessor Euan Cameron
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementMain
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.