All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAfter three hundred years, the Anglo-Scottish Union is in serious difficulty. This is t because of a profound cultural divide between England and Scotland but because recent decades have seen the rebuilding of Scotland as a political community while the ideology and practices of the old unionism have atrophied. Yet while Britishness is in decline, it has t been replaced by a dominant ideology of Scottish independence. Rather Scots are looking to renegotiate union to find a new place in the Isles, in Europe, and in the world. There are few legal, constitutional or political obstacles to Scottish independence, but an independent Scotland would need to forge a new social and ecomic project as a small nation in the global market-place, and there has been little serious thinking about the implications of this. Short of independence, there is a range of constitutional options for renegotiating the Union to allow more Scottish self-government on the lines that public opinion seems to favour. The limits are posed t by constitutional principles but by the unwillingness of English opinion to abandon their unitary conception of the state. The end of the United Kingdom may be provoked, t by Scottish nationalism, but by English unionism.
- Author BiographyMichael Keating is Professor of Political and Social Sciences at the European University Institute, Florence; and Professor of Politics at the University of Aberdeen. He previously taught at the universities of Strathclyde and Western Ontario and has been visiting professor in the United States, France, Spain and Norway. He has published widely on Scottish politics as well as on comparative nationalism, regionalism and public policy.
- Author(s)Michael Keating
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication10/09/2009
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note7 figures
- Weight497 g
- Width163 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.