All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Indian System of Human Marks, Zysk offers a literary history of the Indian system of kwledge, which details divination by means of the marks on the bodies of both men and women. In addition to a historical analysis, the work includes texts and translations of the earliest treatises in Sanskrit. This is followed by a detailed philological analysis of the texts and antations to the translations. The history follows the Indian system's evolution from its roots in ancient Mesopotamian collections of omen on the human body to modern-day practice in Rajasthan in the rth and Tamilnadu in the south. A special feature of the book is Zysk's edition and translation of the earliest textual collection of the system in the Gargiyajyotisa from the 1st century CE. The system of human marks is one of the few Indian textual sources that links ancient India with the antique cultures of Mesopotamia and Greece.
- Author BiographyKenneth G. Zysk, PhD (1981), Austrialian National University, DPhil (2001) University of Oslo, is Lektor (Associate Professor) of Indology at the University of Copenhagen. He has published many books and articles on the Indian traditions of medicine and eroticism, including Conjugal Love in India (Brill, 2002) (Sir Henry Wellcome Asian Series, Vol. 1).
- Date of Publication17/08/2015
- Languageeng, san
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleSir Henry Wellcome Asian
- Series Part/Volume Number15
- Place of PublicationLeiden
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Weight1757 g
- Width163 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine64 mm
- Contained items statement2 Hardbacks
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.