All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Industrial Revolution that began in Great Britain in the mid-seventeenth century transformed the British ecomy-and later the ecomies of Western Europ and the U.S.-from a rural, agricultral system into an industrial society, centered around the factory system of mass production and specialized labor. the right mix of social, political and legal conditions in Britain at the time led to the discovery of labor. The right mix of social, political and legal conditions in Britain at the time led to the discovery of fresh sources of power and energy, and to advances in agriculture, manufacturing, communication and transportation. Notable results included the steam engine, which made possible everything from textile factories to railroads, and, later in the U.S., the cotton gin, electric light, and automobiles. This comprehensive volume explores all these events and more, including the aftermath of the Revolution-its spread beyond Britain and the U.S. to Asia and throughout the world, allowing for a higher standard of living while challenging that standard with increased pollution and health problems, a widened ecomic and social class gap, and a weakening of traditional family structure. Biographical sketches of key figures, a chrology of events, primary document excerpts from the period, and a print and nprint source bibliography supplement the work.
- Author BiographyLee T. Wyatt III is a Visiting Professor at the University of Hawaii, Honolulu and also teaches history at Brevard Community College. A retired Army colonel, he is a former history faculty member at the United States Military Academy at West Point. He has written a multitude of journal and magazine articles, book reviews, and conference papers on military, world, and American history.
- Author(s)Lee T. Wyatt
- Date of Publication30/11/2008
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleGreenwood Guides to Historic Events, 1500-1900
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.