All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOrhan Pamuk's Museum of Incence in Istanbul is the culmination of decades of omnivorous collecting that seeks to capture the city of Pamuk's youth through everyday objects: The ephemera, bric-a-brac, and clutter that adheres to every life. These particular objects are intimately tied to The Museum of Incence, Pamuk's vel of lost love, which lends its narrative structure to their arrangement in the museum. Eighty beautifully designed vitrines, or boxes, carry the visitor along the arc of the story, on a journey through time and space as well as into the mind of the collector himself, ambiguously identified with both Pamuk and his vel's lovelorn narrator. The Incence of Objects, Pamuk's catalogue of his museum, explores the many meanings of this remarkable project. While it offers a rich visual guide to the exhibitions, it also allows Pamuk to write about things that matter deeply to him, including the psychology of the collector, the proper role of the museum, the uses of photography in modernising societies (illustrated with Pamuk's superb collection of haunting photographs and movie stills of old Istanbul) and of course the customs and traditions of his beloved Istanbul. The book's imagery is equally evocative, ranging from the pop ephemera that has become collectible throughout the chronically stalgic developed world to the superb photographs of Turkish photographer Ara Guler. Combining compelling art and writing, The Incence of Objects is an original work that will appeal to readers with a wide range of interests.
- Author BiographyOrhan Pamuk received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2006. His books have been translated into 60 languages. He is the Robert Yik-Fong Tam Professor in the Humanities at Columbia University.
- Author(s)Orhan Pamuk
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight862 g
- Width191 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket,Flexible plastic/vinyl cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $33.67Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.