All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionToday most countries rely on formally organized welfare programs - in some cases to the extent that they are labeled welfare states . These programs, which have been constructed over the last decades, make up a larger national and international system of good intentions. Overall, it appears inconceivable to imagine civilized society without a comprehensive organizational system of social welfare. Social welfare has become a holy cow in many societies; an institutionalized aspect of modern life. But how does the institutionalization of social welfare occur through the concrete activities it enacts; and why does the institutionalization of social welfare appear to be so particularly successful in relation to other institutionalizing phemena? These are central problems for any sociological analysis of contemporary society's organization and are the main locus of attention of this book. Holmqvist explores how a social welfare organization becomes a self-evident phemen by medicalizing its environment: a way of solving social problems by viewing and treating them as medical problems. This study generates new understandings of how institutionalization of organizations comes about and contributes fresh insight to the area of social welfare policies.
- Author BiographyMikael Holmqvist is an associate professor in organization theory at the School of Business, Stockholm University.
- Author(s)Mikael Holmqvist
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/08/2007
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in Sociology
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 30
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white line drawings
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.