Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionDid you give school history lessons your undivided attention? Even if you did, youre probably ne the wiser as to how exactly Henry II of France came to have a two-foot splinter in his head or why Alexandra of Bavaria believed she had swallowed a pia. Or where terms like bunkum, maverick, John Bull and taking the mickey come from; or how the Tsarina of Russia once saved a life with a comma; or why Robert Pate hit Queen Victoria on the head with a walking stick. For some unkwn reason the most interesting bits of history are kept out of lessons and away from syllabuses. Relegated to historys foottes, they lie buried beneath the dense text like a few golden nuggets in a mountain of granite. Now The Interesting Bits rights this wrong; it is a veritable treasure trove of those surprising, eccentric, chaotic, baffling asides that dont fit neatly into historys official narrative. They are historys little-kwn treasures the gems that generations of teachers have excised from lessons on the grounds that they might make history too much like well fun.
- Author BiographyJustin Pollard read Archaeology and Anthropology at Cambridge. He is a historical writer/consultant in film and TV. His credits include Elizabeth and its sequel, A Golden Age, as well as over twenty-five documentary series such as Time Team for Channel Four. He is a researcher for QI and the author of the Seven Ages of Britain, The Rise and Fall of Alexandria and Alfred the Great.
- Author(s)Justin Pollard
- PublisherHodder & Stoughton General Division
- Date of Publication20/08/2009
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJohn Murray Publishers Ltd
- Weight224 g
- Width130 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.