All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is sobering to reflect that it has been nearly fifty years since Thomas French's article on the Interrelations between Psychoanalysis and the Experimental Work of Pavlov, representing the first psychoanalyst to bridge the gap between the theories of conditioning, was published. In hjs paper French clearly delineated the manner and directions in which these two points of view might enrich each other. Regrettably, his open- ness to new ideas has t been characteristic of most schools of psychiatry thought, which have tended instead to develop an unfortu- nate degree of insularity. This has occurred despite the obvious reality that the bio-social-psychological nature of man is such that one theory or discipline is likely, in the foreseeable future, to explain, much less predict, all of the complexities of human behavior. All too often disputing theoreticians, like the fabled blind men describing the elephant, assume that the whole is just a gigantic magnification of the parts with which they are in contact. When treatment strategies are extrapolated from such narrow views, more often than t they fail to achieve the parsimony of effort, the breadth of application, and the maximum of efficiency that one would hope for. In our opinion, it is impossible adequately to conceptualize person- ality development, symptom formation, or responses to psychotherapy, without taking into consideration theories of conflict as well as those of learning.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication24/07/2012
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Series TitleCritical Issues in Psychiatry
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note100 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight584 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byJudd Marmor
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1980
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.