All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book explores the formal and thematic conventions of crime film, the contexts in which these have flourished and their links with the social issues of a globalized world. The crime film has traditionally been identified with suspense, a heterogeneous aesthetic and a tacit social mind. However, a good number of the crime films produced since the early 2000s have shifted their focus from action or suspense and towards melodrama in narratives that highlight the social dimension of crime, intensify their realist aesthetics and dwell on subjectivity. With the 1940s wave of Hollywood semi-documentary crime films and 1970s generic revisionism as antecedents, these crime films find inspiration in Hollywood cinema and constitute a transnational trend. With a close look at Steven Soderbergh's Traffic (2000), David Fincher's Zodiac (2007), Jacques Audiard's Un prophete (2009) and Tomas Alfredson's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011), this book sets out the stylistic and thematic conventions, contexts and cultural significance of a new transnational trend in crime film.
- Author BiographyLuis M. Garcia-Mainar is Associate Professor in Film Studies at the Universidad de Zaragoza (Spain). He is the author of Clint Eastwood: de actor a autor (2006) and his work has appeared in, among other journals, Screening the Past, CineAction and Journal of Film and Video.
- Author(s)Luis Garcia Mainar
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication12/07/2016
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note24 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight416 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.