All listings for this product
Sponsored by eBay Stores
- AU $27.78Free postage
- AU $36.42Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is a homeland, and when does it become a national territory? Why have so many people been willing to die for such places throughout the twentieth century? What is the essence of the Promised Land? Following the acclaimed and controversial The Invention of the Jewish People, Shlomo Sand examines the mysterious sacred land that has become the site of the longest running national struggle of the twentieth century. The Invention of the Land of Israel deconstructs the age-old legends surrounding the Holy Land and the prejudices that continue to suffocate it. Sand's account dissects the concept of historical right and tracks the creation of the modern geopolitical concept of the Land of Israel by nineteenth - century Evangelical Protestants and Jewish Zionists. This invention, he argues, t only facilitated the colonization of the Middle East and the establishment of the State of Israel; it is also what is threatening the existence of the Jewish state today.
- Author BiographySHLOMO SAND studied history at the University of Tel Aviv and at the Ecole des hautes etudes en sciences sociales, in Paris. He currently teaches contemporary history at the University of Tel Aviv.
- Author(s)Shlomo Sand
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication20/12/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Content Noteill
- Weight626 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Translated byGeremy Forman
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.