All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA mysterious stranger arrives at a quiet country inn at night. He is fully clothed, with even his face swathed in bandages. With the arrival of this stranger, bizarre incidents start happening in the neighbourhood - doors open and close on their own, voices are heard but one is seen - a case of vox et praeterea nihil, that is, 'voice and thing more'. As the story progresses, the strange changes to the macabre. A scientist conducts a seemingly impossible experiment on himself and becomes invisible. However, t only his body, but his mind also transforms for the worse. He becomes a homicidal maniac, with a complete disregard for human life or property. His first appearance is in the neighbourhood of Iping, where he arrives fully clothed and wrapped up in bandages. His demeaur evokes the curiosity of the landlady of the Coaches and Horses inn, where he lodges. His unusual behaviour gradually incites the curiosity of the locals, like Mr Cuss who goes to 'interview' the stranger only to have his se 'nipped' by an invisible thumb and finger. Gradually, the stranger exploits his power of invisibility to steal at the vicarage, terrorize the local people, and finally escape the neighbourhood of Iping amidst much chaos and confusion. However, he is t able to take his belongings with him. He then employs the services of a tramp, Mr Marvel, whom he subjects to threats and corporal punishment to retrieve his books from the Coaches and Horses. As Marvel does his bidding, the Invisible Man helps him escape the village by hurting a lot of people. Eventually, the existence of the Invisible Man flashes in the newspapers, which concerns Marvel greatly, as the latter has been his accomplice in creating the ruckus in Iping. Marvel finally betrays him, making off with the money that the Invisible Man had stolen and put in his pocket, as well as the books that he had retrieved from the inn. In pursuit of the defector, the Invisible Man gets hurt and takes shelter in the house of a fellow scientist, Dr Kemp. It is at Dr Kemp's house that the Invisible Man reveals his identity as Griffin, a student who was Kemp's junior at the University. Griffin tells Kemp about his experiment, and expects the latter to be sympathetic to his cause, as both are men of science. However, Dr Kemp soon finds out about Griffin's acts of violence from the various newspaper reports. Realizing that the Invisible Man was a homicidal maniac, Kemp decides to hand him over to the authorities. He writes a letter to a colonel, and with his efforts, the long run of rampage of the Invisible Man is brought to an end. The Invisible Man was initially published in a serialized format in the Pearson's Weekly in 1897. The same year, all the pieces were compiled and published as a vel. Since its first publication, the vel has captured the imagination of readers and audiences around the world. In it H G Wells spins a gripping tale of psychological terror, wherein a scientist who cant reverse his own experiment must w inhabit a world where he is unseen - a world that is to be the crucible of his Reign of Terror. The vel has been adapted into films, TV series, drama, radio, and cartoons. Furthermore, the story has led to new sequels and derivatives such as The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Woman, The Invisible Agent, The Invisible Man's Revenge, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, and many others.
- Author(s)H G Wells
- PublisherRatna Sagar P. Ltd.
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintRatna Sagar P. Ltd.
- Weight249 g
- Width132 mm
- Height188 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best Selling in Fiction Books
- AU $65.05New
- AU $52.29Used
A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues: The Complete Box Set of All 7 Books by George R. R. Martin (Paperback, 2012)
- AU $53.12New
- AU $47.29Used
- AU $16.00New
- AU $8.02Used
- AU $16.49New
- AU $18.25New
- AU $15.88New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.00
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.88
- AU $12.70Trending at AU $13.99
- AU $43.00Trending at AU $57.54
- AU $24.22Trending at AU $24.56
- AU $24.34Trending at AU $26.10
- AU $33.92Trending at AU $35.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.